[AT] Hydrastatic Drives

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 19 20:31:17 PDT 2010

Discussioon about hydrastatic drives is interesting. I have both a Case 444 with the hydraulic drive, and  JD 318 with hydrastatic drive. I have designed several hydraulic and hydrastatic systems.
My opinion is the correct speed to run things is just slightly over the minimum required to do the work that you need.  If you are doing some leasurly mowing, and set the engine to run only as fast as required to get a good cut provided that you can get enough speed also. That should provide best efficency, least heat, etc.
If you are trying to finish quickly or in some race to finish mowing for some reason, then you may need to turn up the speed some, or to the maximum.

(Yesterday saw rice farming just outside of Jakarta Indonesia - most everything was manual labor, other than just a few plows or cultivators similar to the older walk behind garden tractors using steel wheels to work in flooded fields)

Regards,
Dennis