[AT] OT: hydrostat mowers

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 18 11:47:19 PDT 2010

I have a Cub Cadet 1330 with the hydrostat transmission - that is, an
integrated pump and motor unit.  Also, my zero-turn mower has 2 IZT
integrated pump and motor units.  Neither is recommended for hard pulling
jobs, yet both have drawbars and I see others using these type of mowers for
pulling various implements.  The main possible damage seems to lie in
overheating the hydro units.

So, when pulling an implement is it better for the hydro units to use full
engine/pump rpm and reduce ground speed with the hydro motor controls or
slow the engine/pump and open up the hydro motors?  I hope I've stated this
fairly clearly.

Bill Bruer