[AT] OT: hydrostat mowers

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:48:11 PDT 2010

Interesting question. My armchair view is that it depends on how the unit
was designed. I would expect that the main heating on the oil would be from
the pump and that by turning the engine revs down you'd reduce the friction
losses in the pump. Running the engine slower might increase the operating
pressure though since you'll be asking for more torque, so reducing the
overall pressure may help with friction losses and internal wear. Also, do
you know if the motors have a variable flow design?

Maybe you could affix an engine coolant temperature gage to the side of the
unit and try it both ways and see what causes the least heating of the
housing?

Ken in AZ