[AT] Fuel tank problems

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Jun 10 15:58:07 PDT 2010

Cecil Bearden wrote:
> This must be the week for the 10 cent part to stop the 30K machine.  Our
> Disc mower is down because of a PTO pin that caused the shaft to come loose
> and bend ever so slightly and then it knocked out the u joint and we spent
> over $150 in nparts to repair, then gave up and bought another shaft from
> TSC store and shortened it to drive the mower.  However the safety shields
> are waiting on the little plastic bearing to hold the end of the shield
> since te new yoke takes a larger bearing.
>
> The TS110 NH is down with a fuel tank leak at the fuel gauge sending unit.
> The plastic boss that is welded to the tank fell off and let the sending
> unit come out and leak 30 gal of fuel out.  However there is no good way to
> repair it without replacement of the tank at $526.
>
> Once again, reliability is non existent.   When we had metal tanks we could
> have the radiator shop weld them.  Radiator shop  will not touch this, they
> say it will not hold, for more than a year and I will be pissed at them.
> Admire their honesty.   We used to put a bolt in the pto shaft collar to
> hold it on the tractor,  There are no more holes in the shaft.. Tractor is 8
> years old and  dealer says there is no recall or TSB on the tank but they
> have replaced a lot of tanks...
>
> Cecil in OKla

Cecil,

Would it be possible to replace the fuel sender boss with a bulkhead
style fitting? I repaired a snow machine tank a couple years ago that
had a molded in fuel connection by cutting all the old stuff away and
making a sandwich out of stainless that I drilled and tapped for brass
fittings. Cut the inner plate in half to get it through the hole and it
worked fine.

--
Steve W.