[AT] Added a new tractor to the herd!

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 15:31:50 PDT 2010

Actually had it about a week now, been to busy to post/read much.  I think I may finally have something in my collection that is REALLY collectable to someone besides me.......

It is a 1954 Farmall Super A-1.  That is A-One.  It is one of the very last Super A's made, with the actual C-123 engine with factory water pump.  It has a taller grille like a Super C, and as a  result the gas tank sits higher over the touch control block, more like a 100-130-140.  It also has a factory 18" steering wheel. They made somewhere between 1900 and 2000 of these beginning in July, 1954 just prior to the introduction of the Farmall 100.  Mine is around 600 from the end.

The tractor needs right much mechanically, the transmission is noisy, doesn't shift real good, and the engine has a very slight tick when it warms up.  I checked compression early this week and the "low cylinder was 100psi, rest were around 125, so at least maybe the head's in good shape.  Sheet metal is so-so, grille is not as bad as my Super A was before it was restored, hood has a few dings but not too bad.  Keyway was worn real bad on the LH spindle, I cleaned it up and JB welded the key into place for now.

I ALMOST missed out on it.  It was on Ebay, about 2 hrs. from me. I forgot to bid.  It didn't make reserve, but since I didn't bid, Ebay wouldn't let me contact the seller.  Then it showed up on Craigslist.  When I finally got the nerve to call, seller said I was #2 in line to see it.  Well the other guy never returned his call and didn't show when he was supposed to, so I got there with my trailer and checkbook as fast as I could!

I am hoping to be able to find out some more about why IH actually built the Super A-1's.  Was it to use up leftover parts, or were the 100/200/300/400 tractors not quite ready yet?  OR something else??

Here's a link to a pic from Facebook that I posted at farmallcub.com......
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs264.snc3/27854_125611287462217_100000400398167_203639_6169991_n.jpg

Anybody else know of anyone that owns one of these?  It would be neat to see how many are still around......

Al