[AJD] TEST only -- Not receiving messages for some reason (PleaseDELETE)

Rev. Gerber drgerber at fuse.net
Thu Jun 3 10:14:57 PDT 2010

Friends.  Slightly off subject, but I finished planting my garden, about an
acre, last week.  For many years I planted everything manually; open a
shallow furrow with a hoe, bend over, plant the seeds, cover using a garden
rake.  A friend bought an Earthway planter, new, made out of plastic and
aluminum.  He cussed the planter every time he used it, and remarked that he
should have spent a little more and bought a Planet Jr., like they used 50
plus years ago.  I searched on the web, and found planet jr. planters turn
up every so often, carefully shopped, and bought one for a hundred dollars.
I learned they originally came with three seed plates, and an auger for
larger seeds and a rotating brush for the smaller seeds inside the planter
box.  Auger shaft runs off the large steel front wheel.  I searched for the
two seed plates I was missing, and the brush, and can now plant the small
stuff like carrots or leaf lettuce with ease.  Technically they are really a
seeder and not a planter.  The spacing is a little too close together for
some things, and you must thin the plants once they come up.

I am wondering if anyone on the list has experience with the old Planet Jr.
planters.

Rev. Dr. David R. Gerber
Mt. Airy United Methodist Church
2645 North Bend Rd.