[Farmall] Coil On Super M

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Thu Jun 3 05:58:03 PDT 2010

Since you have converted to 12 volts, I assume the system is now a
negative ground ( - post of battery to ground).  If so, the - terminal
of coil should now be toward the distributer, where the original system
would have had the + terminal toward the distributor.  If that is
backward it will shorten the life of the coil.  With the switch turned
on, when the points are open you will have 12 volts at the resister, and
on both terminals of the coil.  When  the points close the current flow
should cause the voltages to change, with about 6 volts on the side of
the resister toward the coil, and of course on that side of coil, and 0
volts on the side of coil going towards the distributor.  This happens
because the points actually ground that side of the coil.