[Farmall] M generator belt and cutout relay

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 31 18:32:32 PDT 2010

  On 7/31/2010 4:01 PM, William Ransom wrote:
> How do you install a generator belt on a Farmall M? It seems to me the fan and fan belt would get in the way. Also, the cutout relay has three terminals, but the wiring diagram I found for a Farmall tractor with a cutout relay only shows two wires connected to it. Should there be anything connected to the third terminal?

It has been a while since I've done this -- as I recall the threaded
portion of the fan pulley needs to be turned to _increase _the belt
space width.  Then slip the new belt around the fan blades one at a time
trying not to bend radiator fins!  When the belt is installed over the
fan and generator pulleys, adjust the belt tension by tightening the fan
pulley (decreasing width of spacing).  Suggest rechecking the tension
after a few hours of running.

The first pulley I worked on was virtually frozen in position over the
years -- so it may take some patience!

I installed a single wire GM alternator on my MD so don't recall about
cutout!

Bob Holtzer