[Farmall] gasket question

John G gustafsonjohnc at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 30 15:19:01 PDT 2010

Son and I finally got back on the Regular after a 4 or 5 month hiatus. We
had decided to tear down the transmission and get it tanked, along with the
differential housing and the bull gear housings. That 80 year old tar was
just too much. Then the castings to the blast yard and a coat of primer.

I had pretty much decided a while back that I was going to have to make a
new set of gaskets for everything. The bull gear and differential cover have
me a bit concerned because of the size. Have not found sheets of vellumoid
that large yet. Son and I got into a discussion about using Blue RTV. My
personal experience has been mixed with it but there are those who swear its
the best thing since sliced bread. By the same token there were very few
leaks on the fittings as we took them apart and the case was pretty full
initially. Worst leak was the front of the pto shaft cover.

I've measured the thickness  of the old gaskets and I get about 1/32 for
almost everything and the old vegetable based material is readily available
for the smaller gaskets in that thickness. I'm actually thinking of using
3/64 to allow for long term set on the original gaskets.

Anyone out there have any guidance on sources or how to proceed with this?

John Gustafson