[Farmall] Clutch Decision

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Thu Jul 29 11:28:25 PDT 2010

One of the main reasons people buy the whole works is so they won't have to
do it over, especially at a time when they may actually need to be using the
tractor (or truck or car).  If this is just a tractor you play with, some of
those concerns don't apply.  Besides, an A is easy to split, so doing it
twice isn't that big a deal either.  Inspect the parts and only replace what
it really needs.

Pressure plate:  Clean rust off the friction surface with sand paper.
Inspect for hard spots (look blue), cracks or scoring.  Check the springs
and levers for damage.  Make sure the levers are all adjusted the same.  If
that all looks good, reuse it.

Flywheel:  Same as the friction surface of the pressure plate.

Driven disk:  Check the thickness of the lining.  If it is mostly worn out,
replace it.  If not, check that it came off clean, with all friction
material in place and rivets tight.  If it has imbedded rust or a hard
glaze, sand paper it until the glaze is uniformly broken.  Do this outside
with wind to your back and wear a mask so you don't breath in any dust.  If
it is old, it may have some asbestos in it.  If it looks good at that point,
reuse it.

While you are in there, check the pilot bearing for wear and give it a
little oil.  Check the throwout bearing too.
Jim Becker