[AT] Old roller style bearings

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:28:31 PDT 2010

Well if that bearing is still made or stocked folks like Motion Industries
can measure it with a micrometer and match it up.  Likely it's not and you
might be stuck trying to find a used one or a new old stock part.  I doubt
you'll have a lot of luck with that either.  Another option is to have a
machine shop adapt the axle and wheel for a different type bearing.     I've
got an AC bush hog that had a funky roller bearing setup in the trailing
wheel when it was new.  There was essentially no way to keep bearings in it
unless you greased the rear wheel about every 8 hours and it took a lot of
grease to fill the housing.  When the thing was about 10 years old (late
60's) I got a guy to look at it.  He pulled to Mack truck engine water pump
bearings off his shelf and did a little measuring.   He had to take a few
thousands cut off the inside of the housing on both ends, leaving a nice
little shoulder and then he made a couple of press fit bushings to fit the
inside of the bearing to the "axle" shaft.   I never had another minutes
trouble with it.     I haven't used that mower in 30 years but I bet those
bearings are still ok.

Charlie