[AT] Old roller style bearings

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 17 12:05:05 PDT 2010

There are Case/IH dealers and there are "Case/IH dealers".  They are not all created equal.  Find one that still has (and is able to use) the old-fashioned books that list all those parts.  It may take an hour or so to follow all the updates, but you should be able to come up with whether the part REALLY is available or not rather than taking the first word offered at the parts counter.  If the rake is that old, they probably should be looking in a McCormick-Deering manual rather then IHC anyway.

When push comes to shove, head for Burge's Salvage in Economy, Pennsylvania.  They probably have at least one of those rakes "in stock".  When I was looking for parts to restore an MD-6 mower, John Burge knew the differences between the models and was able to give me direct guidance (as in; "Look over by the foundation of that barn.").  If you find the original MD part number, give Johnson Hardware in Orrville, Ohio, a call.  They have been in business "forever", and there are a significant number of Amish in the neighborhood who are still using that equipment.  For that matter, give Lehman's a call in Kidron, Ohio.  Much of the stuff at Lehman's is "new kitsch", but they still have some of the old horse-drawn items.

Larry