[Farmall] Sta-Bil

cvill cvill at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 16 12:37:28 PDT 2010

We all have an opinion, Tim, and I do not disagree or think that anyone
else is wrong.  Having said that, here is what I usually do.

Buy good fuel and keep it clean and water free until you put it in the
tank ( I have seen guys leave a gas can out of doors with no cap on
it).  Add a spot of your favorite oil to todays very dry gasoline if you
prefer.  For me that is currently two cycle oil.  I would just as soon
drop a $5.00 bill into the tank as to add Sta-Bil.  The next rule is to
start the motor at least once per month and if possible, drive the
machine around the yard, lot, or as Dean Vison does, the block.  Take it
out and enjoy it.  It keeps the oil in the gear cases moved around so
the seals do not dry out and it keeps the tires flexed.  If you can not
drive around every time, at least run the engine ten to fifteen minutes
to insure that the carburetor is flushed of the fuel that has been
standing in it. On my generators which I only test start about every six
months, I will remove the gas to be used elsewhere and replace it with
fresh every two years.  I have a wire tie tag on each where the test
starts and fuel changes are recorded.

All of the above keeps them starting and running for me.  Just my 2 cents.

Charlie V. in WNY