[Farmall] cub j4 magneto

Dave Maynard dave at themaplehillfarm.com
Tue Jul 13 06:16:14 PDT 2010

When you here the second trip f the mag when its on the timing mark the
engine has turned 360 degrees and the mag has turned 180. At this point the
#1 cyl is finishing it's exhaust stroke and not supposed to fire. If you
check the rotor position however, you will see that it points to a diiferent
cyl that has just come up on compression stroke. When the engine is at 180
the other two cyl's are firing, 1 each complete revolution of the engine.
The mag actually fires every 90 degrees of its rotation as it and
distributors turn 1/2 the speed of the engine as does the cam which drives
it. Jim is correct and what your observing is the way it's supposed to be.