[AT] OFF TOPIC, need some mechanical advice

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Mon Jul 12 12:10:12 PDT 2010

Gene,
Is there any adjustment in the pushrod? I found that to be my problem when I replaced a brake MC on
my old F250. Pushrod was too long for the new MC and the front brakes were dragging.

Phil

--- GWaugh at wowway.com wrote:

From: "GWaugh" <GWaugh at wowway.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>,        "SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>,        "Stationary Engine" <stationary-engine at oldengine.org>
Subject: [AT] OFF TOPIC, need some mechanical advice
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:59:02 -0500

My apologies to all, but I know that there are quite a few crackerjack mechanics on these lists, and I am needing some help/advice, before I start climbing that wall we hear about all the time!

1988 S-10 4WD pickup, 2.8, 5 spd manual

Problem is the hydraulic clutch.  It got to where I could not shift with the engine running, but shifted great when not running.  Dropped the slave cyl with the intent of bleeding the line, and could get NO fluid through it.  So I replaced both cylinders.  With the new master, I could not get it to flow either, until last evening and I put a vacuum bleeder on it; with that, I at last got fluid through.  This morning I will connect the slave and see what happens.  One problem I have had (with two different new master cylinders from different suppliers) is that when I install MC  and connect the pushrod to the clutch pedal, the stroke appears to be way too short---doesn't hit the clutch/starter safety switch, etc.

I will now more in a bit---but in the meantime, I sure would appreciate thoughts/suggestions  anyone may have.

Again, sorry for the OT!

Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois