[AT] OFF TOPIC Pea Crops

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sat Jul 10 09:33:32 PDT 2010

A lot of peas were grown in this area. In my earliest memories I recall a
viner set up in a field where they were processing field peas. The rig
ssaid Gerber on it. These peas went for canning.

I grew English Peas for years. These are picked when the pods are green
and shipped as fresh produce in 1 bu boxes.

I planted them in 26" rows with a 4 row IHC planter. The rows fit my wide
gauge D2 tractor. I pulled an old 4 row horse cultivator with it. My son
would ride the cultivator and steer with his feet.

75-80 bu per acre was not uncommon in dryland planting on hill ground.
Claims of 150-200 bu per acre on irrigated bottom ground have been made.

The local market could get flooded easily. We had to truck them 90 miles
south to get into nationwide distribution.

They have to be picked by hand by farmworkers. I was never very good at
managing labor so I dont grow them anymore.

Tom