[AT] Super A Carb Leak

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:25:13 PDT 2010

Ben,  is there a small gasket (possibly paper) that goes under the flange of
the valve seat when it screws in?  If so make sure that is intact and seated
well.  If you use pipe sealant make sure it is gasoline resistant type and
non hardening or you'll be sorry you used it.    If the needle isn't mating
in the seat your options are to replace the valve and the seat or to take
some lapping compound, put a little dab in the seat and on the end of the
valve and spin the valve round and round in the seat for a while with
moderate pressure.  That will grind the valve and the seat to match each
other.  Clean it up good and give it another try.   I've never tried lapping
a needle valve but it should work.  You'll have to figure out some method of
spinning the valve slowly.
Since it doesn't leak until you run the tractor it could possibly be that
there is a hair line crack in the carb housing that is opening up with heat.
I don't know.  Just a thought.

Charlie