[AT] Real farmers problems - a discussionoflanduserelatedtofarming - was fuel problemsgetexpensive-perspectivesandreactions

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Tue Jul 6 09:50:36 PDT 2010

I live in the Beaver State (Oregon) and my address is Beaverton (guess how it got that name) ;-)

Luckily, we don't have any water close enough to our place to have a Beaver problem.

On my way to work in Portland I do drive past a stream in a developed area and a year or so ago a beaver dammed up that stream and created a pretty good size pool.  It then proceeded to fall a lot of trees along the stream.  I think animal control must have finally trapped it as the water has gone down some.

Fathers Day weekend we were visiting my wife's parents and I noticed one of their apple trees had been gnawed on by a beaver.  Closer inspection showed that four apple trees had been gnawed on!  Ended up having to wrap all the tree trunks with wire mesh so the beaver couldn't finish the job.  They unfortunately live by a large marshy area so have beavers in the area.  A local guy did some trapping a few months ago, but obviously there are still some in their area.

Although I don't have beavers, we are getting overrun now with gray diggers (California ground squirrels).  Luckily I can shoot them without any worry about neighbors complaining about killing cute animals.  Even my wife has gotten so she has no qualms about me shooting them.  The bunny rabbits we have don't seem to bother our plants too much, but I think we have enough predators around here that the rabbits are kept from becoming a problem.

George