[Farmall] Wobbly front end on H

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 5 20:37:57 PDT 2010

On 7/5/2010 6:49 PM, Tim Savelle wrote:
> I drove drove my '49 H in a parade on Saturday and had to run it in 5th gear
> several times to fill in gaps in the line.  I noticed an intermittent wobble
> from side to side in the front wheels.  This only happens when running in
> 5th gear (12-15 mph), and it is not consistent.  Something is mushy in
> there....probably worn, loose, broken, or all of the above.  I found a
> drawing in a shop manual of the steering mechanism.  I scanned it and posted
> it to the link below.  Before I take it apart, anybody have an idea of what
> might be going on here?  Which part(s) is/are likely to be the problem?
>   Which parts might have to be replaced, and if so, a good source?
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TzPOO9zIS5KCvk5SFwbgGQ?feat=directlink
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Gear wear has been the biggest problem for me -- simply because bearings
and bushing can be replaced but good gears are harder to come by!
Maximum gear wear seems to be near the straight ahead position and if
you can reduce gear clearance in the center position {eg. by an offset
bushing installation}, it can be too tight when turning.   Wobble has
been a problem with both narrow and wide front ends.  Might try
adjusting tire pressures up or down to see if things improve.

Bob Holtzer