[AT] Real farmers problems - a discussion of landuserelatedtofarming - was fuel problems getexpensive-perspectives andreactions

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 18:53:38 PDT 2010

Yep, shoot all the deer you want as long as they are causing
damage--providing you are the farmer, landowner, or your name is on the
farmers depradation permit---at least that was the rule 3-4 years ago. I
just left a field 45 minutes ago that had 20 deer grazing and couldn't take
a "safe" shot with a rifle---houses and horse pastures. Too far away to use
a shotgun. Last night it was 11 and the night before 23 or 24. To put this
in perspective, my family has been farming our farm since 1942. Until 10
years ago it was a rarity to even see a deer in a field and damage to a
field was NEVER heard of. Hunters had to actually use their heads to find
the deer. Due to more housing, the deer have been forced into smaller areas
and have now become pests. It's nothing to see them within 10 feet of a
house--trying to have garden and fruit trees is no picnic either. Hunting
with dogs was outlawed in our county about 5-6 years ago--then the
population REALLY exploded.

To keep this tractor list related, when the deer wipe out an entire crop,
your profits stay low so you keep running the same old equipment until it
becomes antique!

Speaking of which, I need to take the Super A tomorrow and bed up a couple
more rows of garden. We've had enough rain to keep planting garden in
staggered amounts--trying to have fresh veggies all season. Must have given
away 10 grocery sack fulls this week.

John Hall