[Farmall] cub j4 magneto

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 14:15:50 PDT 2010

I am embarrassed to admit that the problem was that the chief mechanic
at Sloane Acres managed to get the rotation of the magneto backwards and
therefore got the spark plug firing order wrong. It would seem like it
was trying to start, but then just backfire and quit...

Once I figured what I had done wrong, I re-connected the plugs, and it
fired up like a champ.

 From the description of your problem, it could be either the coil or
the condenser. If you haven't already replaced the condenser, try that
first. One of the advantages of a magneto in good condition is that you
get a very good spark even at very low (starting motor) speeds.

Mike