[AT] Farmer's question about aftermarket goodies

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 22 09:08:53 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Farmer's question about aftermarket goodies

<The problem with
>those throttle levers for us was that when running full throttle (and
we usually were) doing hard work those governors "pushed back" hard
enough to overcome the friction disk on the throttle and slow the
engine down. In order to hold it we had to tighten the spring so tight
that you then could not move the lever by hand.

I recall having a similar problem on the first 730 Case back in the 70s. I
guess the friction disk was worn, needed tightening, but it would gradually
back off from full throttle when working the  fields on some hot summer
days. The quick solution I found was to take my water jug and just pour a
little over the friction disk area. This would help, can't recall for how
long. Nowadays I'd just buy a new disk. Currently its not a problem on the
730 I use. I never need to run it wide open for the jobs it does. Usually
have the hand throttle set at a good "high idle" and just use my foot on the
throttle to vary speeds as the job requires.
Regarding the best aftermarket goodies, I can't really think of any but
would guess that the Char lynn hydraulic system that my Dad bought for his
John Deere D must have been a giant step forward in convenience. The power
lift system on tillage implements was ok when working right and not worn
out, but in muddy conditions that wheel would slide and refuse to lift the
tiller out of the ground. And when your getting into muddy ground that is
about the time you'd want to be lifting the tiller blades and facilitate
your tractor's escape from sinking further into the ground. Hydraulic lift
made life a little easier although theres times that tractors still get
stuck in the mud :-)

Ralph in Sask.