[AT] Old tractor cabs

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 8 19:03:46 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 8:14 PM
Subject: [AT] Old tractor cabs

I tossed it (another stupid
> move). Dang I wish I had that frame. I have a leather sewing machine
> and I could make a new canvas cover and top and have a nice soft cab
> that would make you throw rocks at those new ones they sell. I almost
> always eventually regret getting rid of things...

Me too, which is why I don't throw much of anything away anymore. The cab
you describe sounds familiar and I think many old Sask. farmers will recall
the similar "Kohen" cab, if I have spelled it right. It had the hard top,
either steel or fibreglass, and canvass sides. It was mostly an improvement
over the "Heat Houser" that my Dad used to have on the Cockshutt 50 but with
a roof.
I haven't seen a Kohn cab for years. I still have the heat houser Dad used
on the 50 although it is badly worn. Plus I have another one designed for a
DC4 Case but I have made it work on the Cockshutt 40. Although I have not
got around to installing it for several years now. Either getting lazy or
more tolerant of the cold :-)
I also see there is a pretty good heat houser laying in the attic of my
Uncles' old house. Needs to be rescued before the mice get it I guess.
Heat Houser I think was a name unique to the company that made them. There
was another one called the Hinson weather brake. I have an old advertisement
showing another "Cabette", heat houser style installed on a W9 tractor. Made
by the Danville Tent and Awning Company Inc. of Danville, Illinois.

Ralph in Sask.