[AT] Spam> bearing cross-reference, metric

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:03:18 PST 2010

There you go, Larry.  In the real world where folks get their hands in cutting oil on a regular basis it can be another experience entirely.  When approx. 70% of the customers are domestic, are working in inches, and claim they will never change, the supplier is in the same boat as Ralph Goff. Two systems must be faced on an ongoing basis. It would not be a good endeavor to operate with two systems on the plant floor.  Consequently one must work with the system that satisfies the largest part of the requirement.  Proper conversion even to five decimal places is not a difficult task if carefully done (DO NOT ROUND OFF ANY NUMBER).  If your equipment is capable of holding the tolerance, it is irrelevant what measurement system is used.  On the other hand , if a company is bidding and getting work with tolerances for any features that the plant people and equipment cannot hold in a mass production environment, someone is messing up royally and 100% sorting will be done regularly. 100% sorting is normally a "not for profit venture unless a customer knows no one can meet the specs and is willing to pay for the hours required. As far as quality control, all data can be entered as inch dimensions.  Three sigma, six sigma or 1.85 CPK can be demonstrated as needed.  Prior to printing the copy to send to the metric customer, simply switch the system to mm and print it that way.  If specs are met, they will be met in both systems.

By the way, the company is still operating and manufacturing machined metal parts on a daily basis, even without my help after 48+ years there.  In an era where we have witnessed literally hundreds of screw machine plant auctions over the last ten years, that in itself is a statement of sorts.

Charlie V.