[AT] Vertigo

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jan 3 15:57:08 PST 2010

Well, in that case, all you need is either to drive forward through the
snow, which is what I do, or rig up the blade to sit up front.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/fordcab2.html>

If your New Holland tractor is 4WD or FWA, you should have no problem
working that way.

I find that pulling the blade forward is only a problem when the snow is
really deep - maybe a foot or more. Then the tractor has to work really
hard, first pushing through the snow and then pulling the blade behind
it. One big advantage of a rear mounted blade facing forward is that you
can back right up to a garage/barn door and pull the snow away. I should
also note that the three point hitch is essentially a "pulling" hitch -
whey they are used for pushing, it tends to put a strain on various
components.

Any front mounted blade is far superior for snow clearing, but it does
take a fair amount of hardware to fit one up. I had an old Dodge truck
with an all-hydraulic plow, and, when the truck died, I was very tempted
to see if I could rig the old plow up to one of my tractors. But the guy
who bought the truck wanted the plow, so that was the end of that idea.

Mike