[AT] Engine Temp Gauges

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Sun Jan 31 15:48:17 PST 2010

Ben,

A's and Super A's designed to run on Distillate/Kerosene were regularly
equipped with Radiator Shutters and an Engine Temperature Gauge in
addition to a unique All Fuel Manifold (which had a Heat Control Valve)
and an extra small Fuel Tank for gasoline which was used for starting.

The Super A Operator's Manual states that the Shutters should be closed
when starting and then, after noting that the Pointer on the Engine
Temperature Gauge has reached the mid-point of the RUN position, start
gradually opening the shutters while attempting to keep the Pointer at the
RUN mid-point.

The gasoline only A's/SA's normally had none of this equipment.  I don't
know about other parts of the country but in the Northwest the gasoline
only versions are by far the most common (this is not the case with
Farmall H's/M's).

I've had three SA's (down to one now) and they've all been gasoline only
versions with none of them having the Engine Temperature Gauge.  Of
course, as you probably know, the Touch Control fluid Heat Indicator is a
different animal.  All three of my SA's have had this Heat Indicator and,
in fact, it's a bit unusual to see a SA without it.

Dudley

Hello,