[AT] Corn Picking and storage.

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 05:44:10 PST 2010

Good Sunday Morning, Charlie Hill,

Let me see if I can formulate a thought that even I can understand, let alone others. I am well aware of the high idle term in the tractor environment exactly as you described it.  In the car world however, as Ralph points out, high idle, fast idle, and cold idle have been commonly used to refer to the situation of the carburetor choke being at least partially applied for cold operation. The result being the cam plate on the carb is rotated to a higher step under the tip of the idle screw to increase RPM so the motor will stay running during warm up. This is now an electronic world, but we cut teeth on carbs.  Based on that, point of use language has one meaning one place, and another meaning in another environment. If I had to make a guess, I think cold idle woud be the most correct in the car world.  Again, point of use, these terms have been changed intermittantly during my experience.

 I found it necessary to open a new channel in my own thinking of high idle when I first encountered it in tractor reference some years back.

Here is a goofy thought.  I guess if a tractor did not have a governor, we could still refer to wide open throttle as "high idle" if the engine was not under load.  I wonder how far the pieces would fly.

Charlie V.

> From: charliehill at embarqmail.com
> To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 07:48:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [AT] Corn Picking and storage.
>
> Charlie, the difference being I assume that you car does not have a governor
> like our tractors do.  The new cars do have rev limiters but our tractors at
> "fast idle" do not turn near the rpms they are capable of turning (if only
> for a while) if the governors were removed.m
>
> Charlie Hill

/at