[AT] OT I'm getting older are you? (Really OT)

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 30 06:55:13 PST 2010

Charlie, your "broke the corn" term is new to me; removing the ear with the
husks intact was known as snapping, and removing the ear but leaving the
husks on the stalk was shucking.   Opinion is shucking is a standard term,
but breaking or snapping is probably a local term; will be interested in
other responses.
We are never too old to learn, earlier this week a good friend, antique
enthusiast was showing me his farm machinery collection and his latest
addition was a husker shredder which was nearly the size of a corn sheller.
Entire corn stalk was fed in the top, the shucked ear came out to the
front, and the shredded stalk and husk came out the side toward the rear.
Most of the outside was wood, it was in nice shape (always been shedded).
I was unaware of such implement.  They found it in Ohio.
Many corn cribs in Midwest were solid floor, wood slat sides (approx 1"
between slats), and conventional shingle roof.    Our crib was approx 20'
round grain bin metal bottom, sides were heavy duty wire something like the
bottom rows of hog fencing (only an ear of pop corn could have slipped
through); two old telephone poles approx 4' apart provided a stability to
this 12' tall crib, and the access.   Wood 1" x 4" boards were nailed
across this opening.  No roof.
We normally raised about 100 acres of corn.  Grandpa used a peg (?) for
shucking, and took one row, I used the shucking hook (?) with hook formed
out of center of the approx 2" square metal over the heel of ones hand and
had the second row, Dad used shucking hook and had the next two rows, and
helped Grandpa or me as necessary.  No dryers then so little corn shucked
before first of Nov, then full efforts to get done before snows came. The
only people that shucked corn in deep snow were feeder guys that were
caught short of feed.  One of those things that you did only once.   Dad
normally feed out 45 - 50 young yearling cattle. So, once a week, nice
weather or cold, windy, snowy weather, we belted the tractor to our small
Letz mill and ground the ear corn. The five family milk cows also got a
smaller ration of feed, reason being their giving more milk, and they
always were timely waiting outside the milking area of the barn.  Our team
of mules were feed ear corn when they were working.
I can remember that some years Dad sold the last bin of wheat to the
elevators shortly before wheat harvest.  And several years he sold several
wagon loads of ear corn to a neighbor who, likewise,  was feeding some
yearlings, but I do not remember about his selling any shelled corn or ear
corn to the elevators
Herb

Everyone
> would take a row, break the ears off and throw them into a wagon that
moved
> along with us.
>
> My grandfather lived about 120 miles away so I wasn't there too often but
he
> was a pretty sucessful farmer for the times.  He had a Super A, and a
Super