[AT] Ice harvest coming up next month

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 29 15:48:35 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Dotson" <gdotsly at watchtv.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Ice harvest coming up next month

>    My Amish neighbors have their ice houses filled. Most cut 2 weeks ago

Ice houses, now theres something I guess only the old folks remember, well
not really old because obviously I remember them and I'm not that old. ":-)
My grandfather had a little log ice house built here on the farm many years
ago and I can still remember as a kid having to help shovel snow into it in
spring before the snow all melted. I think sawdust was the main ingredient
to protect the ice/snow  from melting through the summer. Handy since the
woodpile and buzz saw were within a stone's throw of the ice house.
I think use of the ice house kind of trailed off after 1957 when the first
freezer came to the farm but it still saw some use keeping the cans of cream
cool while waiting for the cream truck to stop by.
Tractor reference: the roof of the ice house was steel panels made from the
roof of the first tractor on this farm, the Rock Island Heider.

Ralph in Sask.