[AT] OT I'm getting older are you?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 29 09:28:19 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] OT I'm getting older are you?

On the better models of Ford cars for a number of years they used a
dual fuel pump. One end pumped the fuel and the other end provided
extra vacuum for the wipers. On our 1952 you could be in over-drive
and climbing a mountain and the wipers would keep going, a little
slower but still working. That same fuel pump would mount right on
about any Ford but for some reason few people would pay the extra
money to switch to one.

Dad's 52 Merc never had anything other than the basic fuel pump, no vacuum
assist for the wipers. But come to think of it, did they not have electric
wipers by then? I'm not even sure anymore.
I recall Dad having to carry a jug of water in the trunk to pour over the
fuel pump sometimes in the hot weather when vapour lock became a problem.

Ralph in Sask.