[AT] Spam> RE: Garden tractor???

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 28 21:15:49 PST 2010

Yes, I am, Mark.  I started using PDF years ago -- several computer generations ago.  Along about the beginning of Windows, I used to route stuff to the printer and side step it into a file instead.  It was cheap, fast, and dirty, but it worked to make multiple-imaged documents as a single file name.

But I got into archiving because of a need for converting printed documents into digital form on a wholesale scale -- thousands of pages, years of material -- with page numbers that correspond to the real document, but also incorporating miscellaneous random additions such as un-numbered flyers, covers, etc, and with OCR and unlimited search capability so the final file does not need an index.  There is nothing I know of on the shelf today that will do that short of a Professional edition of Adobe Acrobat.

So I use it avery day.  It has converted my archiving of genealogical material (personal letters, diaries, journals, day books, etc) into meaningful files that are infinitely searchable by anyone without having to invest in any additional software.  The work I'm doing in working with Economy (and related) tractors, is just fun for me that I'm dispersing as far and as wide as I can.  I view that process as the cheapest and most effective insurance we can have for making sure that the information that is being collected about these tractors doesn't accidentally disappear.

Thanks for your concerns, Brian and Mark.  If you examine the documents that I upload to the Internet closely, you may figure out that I DO NOT run with automatic framing, but rather make sure that every page of every document is fully scanned.  But it really works pretty fast from the point of view of throughput (pages per minute, etc).  Part of the full version of Adobe Acrobat with the OCR function turned on is that every document is automatically straightened electronically.  That means that I don't have to take pains to make sure the document is straight on the glass before scanning.  It does it all automatically.  But in order to get the character recognition as high as possible, I have to scan at a fairly high resolution.  That results in file sizes that can get out of hand.  But optimization of the PDF file makes it possible to stuff a lot of information into on-line files without much trouble.

Enough already.

Larry