[AT] Garden tractor???/Now RF hazard

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jan 26 05:19:05 PST 2010

I suspect that the fences were more to keep out vandals and thrill
seekers who like to climb towers than to protect the public from
electromagnetic radiation.

People are starting to get concerned about this kind of thing, and I
read daily news stories of protests against the siting of everything
from cell phone towers to high tension power lines for that reason. I
have heard that some people are now getting concerned about exposure to
the overhead fluorescent lights in schools, offices, and other
buildings. Unfortunately, there has not yet been any proof that
occasional exposure to either weak or strong electromagnetic fields is
harmful.

Our local school board thought they could help the budget out by renting
some space to a cellphone company for a tower right next to the
elementary school. As you might imagine, after a couple of very stormy
meetings attended by many concerned parents, the plan was dropped.