[AT] Garden tractor???/Now RF hazard

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 26 06:25:33 PST 2010

charliehill wrote:
>   I've always wondered how much RF
> load I was getting and how much danger I was in while I was right around the
> base of that tower.   Anyone got thoughts on that?

Every tower or antenna location has to have an RF total exposure
calculation and must be kept within limits.  The limiting factor s are
frequency and power.  Many towers have high frequency antennas at at
various locations.  The farther away the antenna the lower the exposure
so a very tall tower with UHF or VHF antennas at the top will have very
little exposure at the base.  Consider the exposure as the inside of a
sphere, double the distance is 1/4 the exposure.

On the lower frequencies the entire tower is the antenna.  At those
frequencies higher exposures is less of a concern.  That is why exposure
to household power at 60 Hz is of minimal concern.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU