[AT] Farmer's question about aftermarket goodies

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 23 11:06:13 PST 2010

Well, I certainly share Ralphs three selections
The friction clutch on the throttle lever of our 1938 CC Case soon became
unacceptable because it would not stay at full throttle, but would back off
approx 1".  This gradually got worse.  Dad fixed a nice baling wire loop to
the seat support, thus holding the throttle a wide open.  But this
necessitated slipping the wire off  the end of the throttle lever before
one could reduce the throttle setting.  So we replaced this throttle
control with one from a Farmall H (or M); this solved the problem however
we did have to rebuild the throttle lever tooth approx every five years.
And the second goodie is the recent addition of power steering to our D-14,
using the Char-Lynn torque generator  .That makes it a different tractor,
especially for an operator in their senior years.
And third, hydraulic lifts offered many benefits; when one gets in the mud
where the "bull wheel" slides and will not lift the implement out of the
ground; remember, at that point you had best stop, disconnect the
implement, then hope the tractor has adequate traction that it can power
itself out of the mud.  Then one needs to back the tractor close enough
that you can retrieve the implement by using a couple chains. All of this
is time consuming, slogging around in the mud, an upsetting in that you
should not have gotten that close to the mudhole. Then drag the implement
out, unhook and restore the chains, back up and rehook to the implement,
then go around the mudhole, and finally get back to constructive work. BTDT
too many times.
Herb