[Farmall] More Magneto Woes

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 20 19:38:59 PST 2010

 Ben, assuming your impulse is working properly, hook a plug up to the wire
coming out of the coil cover. If it fires there then your problem is in the
short wire that connects the cover to the distributor cap, the cap itself,
or the rotor button. I you don't have fire there, pull the coil cover and
lay a screw driver about a 1/8" above the lead-out on the coil to see if you
have fire there--careful you don't touch the blade! If not, start looking
for anything touching the frame that is not supposed to. Possibly you left
something loose and it has gotten against the frame and is grounding it out.
I would pay special attention to where the kill switch terminal goes through
the frame. Re-check your point gap and make sure they are clean, even if
they are new. If all else fails, unhook the coil and condenser,  grab your
voltmeter and start checking for anything that is grounded and not supposed
to be.

 Also, when you are testing a mag, if it fires a spark plug set to the
proper gap, that is no indication it is hot enough to run an engine. Rule of
thumb is it must fire a 1/4" gap, minimum. I have rebuilt mags that would go
7/16". Take and old plug and bend the grounding part of the electrode to get
a really big gap. Magneto rebuilders have an attachment that allows them to
vary the spark gap on each output of the cap.

As for your question about the condenser, rule of thumb is change it every
time you change the points, unless you are working on some really oddball
mag that condensers are hard to find or a pain to change. The IH dealer dad
worked for refused to stock individual points and condensers, they only sold
them in sets.

Also, the only way you can screw up the coil is to hook up a wire from the
battery. I've seen it more than once and it ain't pretty--smells bad too. A
lot of folks just don't get it that a mag works without a battery. I gave up
arguing with a fellow one day that a weak battery wouldn't make his mag not
work.

One other thought comes to mind, when you pulled the old coil out, was it
really oily and did it appear to have leaked all over the inside of the
mag.?

John Hall