[AT] More Magneto Woes

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:23:17 PST 2010

Hi Ben,  this is a long shot but it worked for me once on a Fairbanks Morse
mag.  It wouldn't hit a lick.  I got to poking around in it and found that
the wire that goes to the kill lug on the side of the mag was chaffed and
was continuously going to ground on the case.  There was nothing wrong with
the mag.  Just a bad wire.

I don't even know if you IH mag has a ground lug.  That's not the point.
The point is to look for little things, loose wires, chaffed wires, loose
connections, corrosion (sometimes corrosion on aluminum is a nearly clear
white substance that you'll never see.  It looks like the aluminum).  You
can check the condenser easy enough by charging it up with a battery,
discharging it and doing it again a few times.

Some of the others can probably give you better and more specific info.  I'm
just telling you where I'd start looking if it were mine.

Good luck

Charlie