[AT] Trailer floors (was) lots of saw mills

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 19 20:10:25 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Fink Sr" <nancydick at pennswoods.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Trailer floors (was) lots of saw mills

> Ralph they were probley old grouth lumber. It had a lot tighter grain
> and will stand up better.
> R Fink

In the early days it seemed fir lumber was the top choice for buildings
here. Imported of course, often from B.C. Dry, hard and straight grained.
Hard to drive a nail into and hard to remove. Subject to splitting under
some conditions. Spruce was nicer to work with but light and not as strong
or long lived. I've torn apart enough old buildings to see the difference.
I was surprised to find how cheap the lumber was in a grain elevator that I
was salvaging some lumber from. Not sure what variety it was but fairly
light weight and short grained. I guess when you are just piling 2x6s one of
top of the other building a wall it does not have to be all that strong.

Ralph in Sask.