[AT] lots of saw mills

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Jan 18 05:01:27 PST 2010

I have found an old Frick Sawmill about 5 hours away and have made a
deal for it.  It is supposed to use a 52 inch blade, and has a 48 ft
track.  Probably power it with the old 930 case diesel since it would
have a lot of torque and would be so easy to vary the speed with the
throttle.  I design dams and around here there are a lot of red cedar
trees to be cut down on the site.  Some of them are really large
diameter..  I have a young fellow that works with me on most every
project I get into, be it engineering or manual labor, and he is really
interested in getting the old mill running.   He wants to build a Cedar
log cabin, by sawing 3 sides of the logs, and debarking the other.  Sure
would be nice on the inside.  I also have some mexican friends who build
rustic Cedar furniture and have really been getting a raw deal on
sawmill service ( 0.65/bd ft) at the only mill about 30 miles from here.
  They also have to cut short some really nice long logs to get them
into this mill.  I have found a new 42 inch blade, but so far nothing
large than 42 inches.

Cecil in OKla