[AT] Swamp loggers. A log skidder is a tractor isn't it?

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 17 11:38:37 PST 2010

It's all about making money. I've noticed a lot of folks trying to sell
firewood on Craigslist. When you add up the cost of a truck, splitter, and a
chainsaw, these guys are working for peanuts. Its got to be hard to compete
against the commercial processors.

Back in the '90's there were still a few farmer sized sawmills around here.
I don't know of any still running. They gave way to band saw mills and it
seems those have fallen to the big lumber stores. I priced adding on to a
farm shed 2 years ago and I could go buy dressed lumber at the big box store
a whole lot cheaper than I could cut down a couple trees and have it sawn
for me.

John