[AT] Swamp loggers. A log skidder is a tractor isn't it?

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:34:54 PST 2010

John I was ridding down a back country road once with a guy that grew up in
the city.  We went by a field where a log skidder was sitting out by the
road.  The guy looked at it and in a few seconds he said "I'm a city boy but
I think I know what that thing is.  That's one of the 4WD swamp log
go-geters"  I've driven them.  I've never actually worked them other that
just for a few minutes but I've loaded them on and off of the low boy when
hauling them from job to job.   Most of them have a steering control switch
that goes from a normal steering feel like a truck or a farm tractor to a
quick steer for working in the woods.  In quick steer it will turn from lock
to lock with about 1/8 or less turn of the steering wheel and in about a
half a second.   You want to make real sure you don't have it in quick steer
when you get in high gear.   If it's a grapple skidder, instead of a cable
rig it takes a bit of getting used to.  You try to back the grapple up to a
bunch of wood and since it "articulates" (bends in the middle) when you turn
the wheel the grapple is no longer where you think it is or where you wanted
it to be.  You have to learn to anticipate where it will swing as you back
up to the pull.  I guess it's not hard to catch on to but if you jump on one
for the first time and think you can drive it, it will fool you.  If I were
a rich man there would be one or two of them in my toy barn.

Charlie