[AT] Greg E, Gene D or anybody - VAC HP bump-up question.

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 15 15:11:35 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Greg E, Gene D or anybody - VAC HP bump-up question.

 The depression made for a different mind-set as
.
> I still clearly recall being at the county fair in the early 1950's
> and hearing the farmers talking about how silly that huge John Deere R
> was and how you would not be able to turn it around most fields. :-)
> A few years later I recall discussions with sentences like "why would
> ANYBODY want a tractor as big as that new John Deere 70 around here".

So familiar. When I was a kid the theory was that you used a big tractor for
heavy work and a light tractor for chores or lighter field work. Its just
the concept of what is a "big" tractor that has changed over the years. When
we first got a "big" 730 Case the idea was to use it for the heavy work but
not for jobs like harrowing or spraying, baling, raking, etc. The smaller,
older Cockshutt 50 or 40 would do those tasks.
Later on I got a 2090 Case and it did all the field work since there was no
job that the old Cockshutts could handle with the bigger equipment.
Now I use the 2090 as a chore/light field work tractor. 40 years ago the
idea of using a 108 hp tractor for "light" work would have been unheard of.
Times and farming have changed.

Ralph in Sask.