[AT] Greg E, Gene D or anybody - VAC HP bump-up question.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 06:47:11 PST 2010

Are the VAC and VAI engine the same except for the governor setting?
Did Case bump up the RPM on the VAI for more HP (tractor makers have
been doing that about forever) or did they think that the VAI would
be driven more car or truck like rather than running full throttle out
in a field all day for days on end? Maybe they wanted more ground
speed?
The info I have is:
All agricultural tractors
                                      No load speed 1600 RPM
                                      Full load speed 1425 RPM
VAI Tractor (Industrial)
                                      No load speed 1925 RPM
                                      Full load speed 1800 RPM
               *1425 RPM for proper PTO speed
Did Case ever use the VAC engine in anything else like a later tractor
at the higher RPM (like maybe the 300 etc.)?
My Deere 4020 has a throttle made so that you have a stop at regular
full speed for normal work and then you pull out on the knob and pull
it down farther for tough spots or for road use. I think the top speed
is something like 2500 RPM and the regular setting about 2200 RPM.
For years I had a tiny cable on my Farmall CUB so that when mowing I
could pull gently on the cable just as I approached a big clump of
really tough stuff and get a jump on the rather slow to react
governor. Once out of the tough patch I would let it drop back to the
regular full speed. I'm not using it to mow with right now but I
finally changed the throttle/governor settings so that I had a paint
mark on about the third notch back and I mowed there 95% of the time
but could shove it forward 3 notches just in the tough spots (I just
copied the idea from the 4020).
I just looked out of curiosity and the Continental on my Ferguson
TO-20 calls for a no load maximum RPM of 2200 and a loaded RPM of
2000.
Going back over many years the tractor makers have always made a big
deal about not increasing governor speed settings then a few years
later when they wanted a little boost the only change they would
sometimes make was a 200 RPM boost in the high speed setting.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"