[AT] Greg E, Gene D or anybody - VAC HP bump-up question.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 16:41:48 PST 2010

I know that Greg pulls a VAC or two, does anyone else. I'm not looking
to pull one but I would maybe enjoy pulling into a field at a plow day
with a 2 - 14" pull type plow and rolling down the furrow at a good
clip and at an obviously decent depth.
What has anyone done to boost the HP on one of these by maybe a good 5 HP or so?
Is head milling a reasonable action on one of these. I would rather
not replace pistons etc if not needed. It currently does not smoke or
anything. Would porting and polishing give a boost? Maybe a larger
carb? Maybe a split manifold and dual carbs? Dual exhaust? I wouldn't
be overly considered about fuel consumption on a plow day and mods
that were bolt-on could be un-bolted and it put back to stock... A
head mill and bigger valves might  be do-able?
-
Has anyone ever done an engine substitution on one of these? Sitting
here it popped into my head that I also have a second VAC here that is
complete except for an engine. I suppose a GM 455 would be over-kill.
I was thinking more along the lines of Gary Dotson's sharp looking
"Kub"ota.
;-)
I read that for the first few years they used Continental engines does
that mean that a Continental would bolt up? Would anything a little
bigger bolt up?
Just trying to brain-storm a little. OK, maybe not a storm, just a
sprinkle.  :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson