[AT] Spam> bearing cross-reference

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 5 18:45:58 PST 2010

Thanks for the replies fellows!

Dave, that might prove to be an interesting book as ball bearings hadn't
been in widespread use that long when it was published. I know IH went to
ball bearing mains in the 20's, don't know if they were using them as well
in transmisisons at that time or not. I can honestly say that anything I
worked on older than that had no bearings or had large needle roller
bearings.

Charlie, called Motion today and the guy surprised himself when he was able
to cross-reference them by IH number. His pricing wasn't bad either. If you
have calipers handy most place can look up seals and bearings by size, I've
done this with Napa a few times. Now for the shocker---did you know that
most bearings and seals are METRIC--yes even on stuff that is 60+ years old!
I imagine a lot of folks just think they are some bastard number simply
because they don't know how to convert. I have had to convert sizes over
before so the parts guys could look them up. The real question is how did we
ever do mechanic work without cell-phones? Sure makes things go a lot faster
when you are chasing down parts!

Mark, gotta give you credit for being able to do that. I would say that most
places can't cross by equipment manufacturer number. Without going to a
whole lot of effort, how extensive is your liisting  by equipment
manufacturers? Also, your data base is impressive giving you the
application. Napas did as well but they had one of the bearings listed for
an M. Also noted that same bearing was a clutch bearing for certain Jeeps
and also went in a Ford 3 speed.

The bearings I ordered were el-cheapo. The place I ordered them from carried
multiple quality and configurations. I couldn't see spending $150 bucks for
bearings considering this tractor is pretty much retired. Just for the heck
of it I should have priced them at Case-IH. I did have to get a couple seals
from them--they ain't cheap but at least you know you are getting good
stuff.

John Hall