[AT] OT- Pex

Gene Waugh GWaugh at wowway.com
Mon Jan 4 16:49:40 PST 2010

My 2 cents here as well.  I worked 12-15 years as a 'traditional'
plumber, using nothing but sweat copper for new work---and have repaired
100's of galvanized installations.  I do not think I ever burned a place
down, but I sure did have smoke pouring out of wall cavities a couple
times!!!  And there was one almost lawsuit that finally came to
nothing---I don't know if that one was my doing or not, but I still
remember my fear---it was a multi-million dollar sports complex!!!

Also, around 20-22 years ago, I worked in Phoenix where miles and miles
of the flexible Qest polybutylene (no longer available) was used--a
flexible plastic available in rolls as is PEX.  The Qest left a bad
taste in my mouth as it was eventually pulled from the market in the
midst of kazillion lawsuits; most of the trouble, IIRC, was with the
fittings and the aluminum and copper clamp rings used.

But...the PEX is apparently a different story.  It has been used in
Europe for years, often in slabs for hydroponic heating.  If I were
plumbing a house today, I would probably use it.  I did use a couple
small runs in a bathroom remodel of my own I did a year or so ago.  As
several have pointed out, the mechanical fittings are expensive---$65
really sounds reasonable for the dual tool.  Just remember to use the
little go-no gauge that comes with it on the clamped rings, and you can
be sure that all is going well.

Gene