[AT] Tractor Diesel Engine question - non-antique

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Feb 21 08:59:18 PST 2010

    Grant

    Most engines are well overbuilt for the designrd tasks. Engines may be
built for basic tasks and years of service with basic systems such as
mormally aspirated. These engines may be speced for many tasks by adding
turbochargers, intercoolers, changing camshaft timing, duration and lift and
injector size and type. Also varying engine speed for a certain application.
Internal engine changes such as piston skirt oiling and cooling. Higher
output engines may have stronger crankshafts and connecting rods. An engine
designed for a constant speed application will have a lower horsepower
rating than the same engine used for highway truck use where more speed is
occasionally needed. RPM has a large influence on the rated horsepower. A
Farmall 560 with a 281 cu. in. engine turning 2200 Rpm developes  58
horsepower and a 660 with basically the same engine developes 84 horsepower
at 2800 Rpm.

    Turbocharging and computer controls have had an impressive influence in
modern diesel engine designs. High pressure, multi-stage fuel systems have
greatly improved the fuel efficiency and at the same time reduced the shock
loads on all engine components. Modern truck engines can be tuned by
sattellite communication links depending on power required for any region of
the country. Giving best fuel economy in the plains states and increasing
the fuel and boost for the mountain west. The computer can control the fuel
flow, ingine boost and available RPM.

    The main reason for different specifications is to eliminate the need
for making a specific engine for each usage when an engine can be built to
power requirement of aech task.

                            Gene