[AT] OT was runaway cars/now "electronic steering"

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Feb 2 03:26:54 PST 2010

Speaking of a similar (but old tractor) subject, my Farmall 706 had
hydraulic steering, not hydraulic assist. There was no connection from
the steering wheel to the steering gear, except for the hydraulic lines.
But, if the engine wasn't running, you could still (sort of) steer by
cranking the wheel around (a lot). There was a little feedback from the
wheels when the engine was running, but so little I hardly noticed it.
It was a little bit weird at first, but I got used to it. I don't think
I would like that in a car at road speeds, but I have seen pictures and
videos of cars set up with a "joystick" for steering instead of a wheel.
Now THAT would take some getting used to for me.

Mike