[AT] Fuel consumption with generator (was Re: Wisconsin old tractors / old trains

cecil bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Feb 25 17:05:46 PST 2010

Freezing is bad, but freezing in the dark is just too much to take!!  I had
to install a new heat pump system yesteday.  Seems that our power had a
surge due to lightning last Sat night.  House is so well insulated that when
we had incandescent lights I would warm it up with the lights.  We went to
flourescent.  On Monday eve, wife said it was cold.  House always seemed
cool when heatr was working.  Found fried compressor wires.  System was 25
yr old, and had had its problems.  I found a new climate maste tranquility
27 model 3 ton for $4000 it had been returned with a sealant on the filter
housing.  Emer heat strip was another $200.  This one has Hot water
generator.  I got it installed last night about 8pm and running.  Woke up to
a house that felt warm for the first time in 25 years.  Cannot hear the
system run.  It has to cost less to operate.  Profit on that zipper machine
is going to take a hit, but it is better than borrowing.  That deal could
not have come at a better time.

My sainted mother is still watching out, looking over me.

Cecil in OKla