[AT] Fuel consumption with generator (was Re: Wisconsin old tractors / old trains

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 07:15:51 PST 2010

I have never accurately measured the consumption of my tractor. For one
thing, the generator is rated at 25 KW, but I am sure that I have never
even come close to giving it full load (Even if the well pump, electric
range, furnace, and clothes dryer all kicked in at once, I don't think I
would go much over 10KW.) I bought this generator because the cost was
only a few dollars more than a smaller one, and I like the fact that I
am only running at less than 50% capacity most of the time. Also, I am
fortunate that I have rarely had to run it for more than a few hours at
a time. My best guess is that it runs about one gallon per hour, but I
wouldn't take that to the bank. When I had my Farmall 706 (gas), I had
an adapter and used to run the generator off the 1000 rpm PTO at half
speed - that was MUCH quieter and used much less fuel. I still can't
remember why I sold the 706, except the goofy gearshift mechanism was
driving me crazy (I referred to it as "Guess-O-Matic" - I never knew
what gear I would be in when I let out the clutch).

They have now got the power restored, so I am back on commercial power
again. But we are supposed to be getting one heck of a blizzard (up to
20" of snow and winds up to 50 mph, which is a LOT of this area). So I
put the tarp over the seat and instrument panel and will leave the
tumbling bar in place until the weekend. I figure that, if I am
prepared, I won't need it. :-) But I guess the new truck/plow will be
getting a workout. Right now, it is 35°, so there isn't much
accumulation, but that could change at any time.

Mike