[AT] Wisconsin old tractors / old trains

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Thu Feb 25 03:53:09 PST 2010

IH owned a couple Great Lakes freighters, "The International" and "The
Harvester".
At some time during their careers, they had the IH logo painted on.
The "THE" was part of the name, painted on the boat.

As a big shipper, no doubt IH negotiated some favorable rates with the
railroads.
It would be common to hold back shipments to make up a big block of tractors
for publicity pix.

We see a similar operation thru here. GE Loco in Erie always holds the week's
production to go out in a solid block Friday afternoon. We always try to catch
NS 309 on Friday evening, to see what GE is shipping.

Dave Merchant

At 07:39 PM 2/24/2010, you wrote:
>Guy, your response to the Baldwin thread reminded me of another connection
>I've
>wondered about:Â  Did the Milwaukee Road and International Harvester have any
>business relationship?  I can imagine huge quantities of raw materials,
>component parts, and finished product must have shipped in and out of
>Harvester
>plants via rail, and I would guess the Milwaukee Road could have handled a lot
>of it.  I know that's a long way from presuming any kind of systematic
>business
>relationship, but the mental image of a trainload of new Letter Series
>Farmalls
>on a bunch of Milwaukee Road flatcars pulled by a big chuffing 4-8-4
>Northern or
>some early EMD F-units is just too cool not to daydream about!
>Dean Vinson
>Dayton, Ohio
>www.vinsonfarm.net
>
>On February 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM fayguyma at execpc.com wrote:
> >
> > There was no connection between Baldwin Locomotive and Baldwin Harvester
> > other than family last name.

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net
dmerchant at layerzero.com

http://www.nesys.com
http://www.nesys.org
YouTube: SteamCrane

"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps
to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards)
and from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
         - Prof. Phil Jones
         - Director, Climatic Research Unit
         - School of Environmental Sciences
         - University of East Anglia